For these eco friendly easter eggs all you'll need is the onion peels, some old nylon socks and motifs of the awakening spring.
- 10 eggs
- shells of 10 large onions (red or brown)
- 2.5 l of water
- 2 tbl spoons of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- butter, oil or lard
1. In a medium-sized pot pour 2.5 liters of water, 2 tablespoons of vinegar and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Place the onion peels in it and let them soak overnight. If you don't have time, bring everything to a boil, then reduce the temperature and cook slowly for about 40 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat, allow 15 minutes for water to cool a little. Meanwhile, prepare nylon socks, which you cut into such large pieces that you can wrap an whole egg in them (approx. 15 x 15 cm). You also need a binding thread.
3. Wash the eggs well. Press smaller leaves of plants, such as grasses, ferns, dandelion leaves, clover, herbs, flowers, ... on still damp raw eggs.
4. Pressed plant tightly than wrap each egg in the piece of nylon so that the knot is on the opposite side as a motif. You pull the ends together and twist them so that the net fits really snugly against the plant. Wrap the knot several times with thread and tie the thread. Now, the eggs are prepared for cooking in shells.
5. Dip each egg in lukewarm onion water with a spoon, carefully so they do not break and bring water to a boil. When the water starts to boil, reduce the temperature so that the eggs do not hit the bottom of the pan during boiling. Let simmer for 8 minutes. Then take them out of the water with a spoon and drain on a paper towel.
6. When the eggs are dry, you cut a knot of socks, releasing the pressure where the plant was pressed. You?ll be so excited to see the beautiful motifs released from the flowers, ferns, dandelion leaves, daisies and other beauties of the awakening spring.
7. Lightly rub the finished eggs with butter, lard or oil to make them glow.
8. Once the eggs have cooled, store them in the refrigerator and consume them within seven days.
If you don't want to bother with socks and plants, you can also just skip the step and dip the eggs in the water of onion peels.
Be creative! Happy Easter!